Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Long Journey

Well, today I took my final, final, final exam.  I defended my dissertation and I passed!  I am now officially Dr. Fawcett.  As I reflect on this experience my first thought is that it's taken me 4.5 years but on second thought i realize it's taken me many more years than this.  It started in 1974 when I was a freshman in college.  It continued in 1990 when I went back to school at the age of 34 to finish my bachelors degree and become a teacher.  Then after 5 years of teaching, I returned in 1997 to get a Master's in Special Education, then in 2000 to get an principal/administrator certificate.  Then, after 4 years of principaling, I returned in 2006 to work on my doctorate.  I've been going to school for a LONG time!

During these past 4.5 years I had breast cancer and underwent surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. I went to school in the summer as a bald woman.  I used this degree as a point of focus and hope. I remember feeling so grateful I had something to focus on and to look forward to that was uplifting and interesting and exciting while I was battling such a scary disease.

Tonight, I am filled with gratitude for a loving Heavenly Father who has permitted me and guided me and nudged me along to achieve this level of education.  I am grateful for the promptings of the Holy Ghost that guided me to return to school.  I'm grateful for the blessing of having my capacity to learn enlarge and grow beyond my own natural abilities.  I am grateful that I have been blessed with the gift to discipline myself and to make myself work and trudge through nights and weekends of studying for so many years! I am grateful for the love and support of my family, including my parents and children who encourage me and love me -- even when all I seem to do is study.

My Dad was one of my greatest supporters in this endeavor.  He told me I could do it.  He was proud of my efforts.  He felt like my decision to return to school was a smart decision and that this was something I should do.  When I doubted my wisdom -- he reassured me. 

I know that today he was there and he heard and saw my defense.  My mother and sister were there and they were so supportive and kind.  I was glad to have their support.  But I know Dad was there too. The image of his smiling face came into my mind after it was over.  I knew he was pleased. I am so grateful for the knowledge that our family is forever and that my father is still my father and that my relationship with him is eternal.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what's it going to be like? No night classes? No homework or term papers?
    Woot! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! A wonderful accomplishment. Glad you are safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete