Thursday, February 24, 2011

Let it Snow? No! and a Tribute to my Faithful Friends

Ok, we don't really have a choice about the weather but I if we did I would fast forward to spring! I was just thinking last week I might put some primroses in my pots but didn't.  Probably a good thing that I didn't. Nevertheless, I'm so ready for spring to come.  Spring does come sooner here than it does in Utah. In a month it will be very spring like and there will be buds on the trees and tulips and camelias beginning to bloom! By April, we will begin to feel warm again and see even more blossoms and leaves.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to spring.

On a more serious note, my friend Neal Whiteford is about to leave this life. His dear wife Joan is sitting next to his bedside as he goes through the final phase of his mortal life.  Joan and Neal are my heros. Joan is one of the most faithful and stalwart disciples of Jesus Christ I think I've ever known. Her 10 year marriage to Neal has been an experience of faith in every possible way. I have watched the refining of Neal as he's gone through more than 5 years of serious health problems, including becoming a paraplegic and experiencing congestive heart failure. I've also watched the refining of Joan.  During these past 5 years not only has her best friend and dear husband been seriously ill, her daughter died from non-smokers lung cancer. Through it all she and Neal have faithfully served in their callings.  Neal has been a ward clerk, together they've served a church service mission to the LDS employment center, and Joan has served in her stake calling as the stake webmaster, teaching in RS, and filling in with music anytime she's needed.  She's also been a faithful, loving visiting teacher to me. Joan and Neal are loved by everyone in our ward. Every family in our ward has been touched in some way by Joan and Neal and their tireless service.

Joan has had her moments of discouragement and fear. She has wept through Neal's illnesses. She has mourned the loss of a beloved daughter. She has worried through another daughter's divorce and remarriage. I have learned from her as she has pressed forward with steadfast faith in Christ. I have watched her support and encourage Neal -- even when he was so ill and discouraged himself -- he had little to give back to her. I've watched her submit to Heavenly Father's will and accept the answers to prayer that weren't the answers she wanted. Despite receiving the answers she didn't want, she has remained faithful to her covenants and to the Gospel. She has made the choice not to be bitter and angry (even when she felt hurt and angry for a time).

Joan has changed Neal's life and he has changed hers. They have both changed mine. I will be forever grateful for dear, faithful friends who set the example of discipleship. Godspeed to you Neal as you walk into eternity and into the waiting arms of our Savior. Godspeed to you Joan as you press forward in the coming years, knowing that someday Neal will be waiting for you to walk into his arms and on into eternity by his side.

1 comment:

  1. Thank You for such a heartfelt tribute to your friends! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete