Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Hearts of the Children (or We are Family)

Facebook started as a social medium for college kids.  In fact, when I first heard of it my college kids told me about it and explained that it was just for college students.  That was fine! Then, several years later I heard that Facebook was open to anyone.  I ignored it. I didn't think it was something I would ever be interested in.  Almost 3 years ago I was undergoing treatment for breast cancer.  Surgery, chemo, and radiation.  I was able to go to work when I felt good but many weeks I spent at home trying to cope with the side effects of chemo. During that time, I was feeling well enough one day to get online and explore Facebook. I joined up! I requested my kids as friends.  Abby's initial response was, "Mom must be sick, she's joined Facebook!"  For quite awhile I just used it to stay in touch with my kids who were all away from home.  I began to add other friends. Over these 2-3 years something wonderful has happened -- I've reconnected with many of my first cousins and second cousins, and other relatives.

I have many, many, many first cousins (around 40 or so). I actually know most of them. Facebook has brought many of us back together. I enjoy seeing pictures of their kids and grandkids. I love reading posts about what they're doing and thinking. When they're sick or having a hard time I enjoy offering words of encouragement. One of my cousins has battled ovarian cancer during the past couple of years -- I've been able to share with her some of the information I've learned about cancer. (Ovarian and breast cancer and prostate cancer are related and sometimes run in families like ours.) Another one of my cousins lives in Chicago and this week they're being hammered by a bad winter storm -- it's good to keep tabs and know that she and her family is safe. I've discovered that with a couple of my cousins (actually in-law cousins) and I share a lot of similar tastes in favorite TV programs and political views. It's so great to wish them happy birthday. Facebook has brought our extended family back together and helped us reconnect.

I love knowing that I belong to a very large extended family. I like feeling connected to so many really good people. I enjoy having contact with people who share a common heritage, common values (mostly), and common traits and characteristics. I have to think that Facebook is contributing to turning the hearts of the children to their fathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment