Saturday, November 27, 2010

Turkey Day 2010

We had a delightful Thanksgiving Day.  Every dish turned out perfectly from the Turkey to the pies.  I couldn't have been happier except that Abby, Jeremy, and Lorena didn't make it over the mountains.  They decided that the weather was so bad in Eastern and Western Washington that they shouldn't come.  I had had been having those same feelings.  Their biggest concern was that they would get stuck over here and not be able to get home in time for work on Monday. (A legitimate concern due to the heavy snowfall in the mountains and on the passes this weekend.)  We missed them so much -- but Christmas will be all the sweeter.

Amy made her fabulous, yummy rolls and her delicious sweet potatoes.  Mom joined us and brought wonderful relish trays of veggies (with help from Allison).  We had lots and lots of delicious food, good company, and a very nice day.

I was concerned for my mother because this is the beginning of her first holiday season without Dad.  She's had a difficult week but she's doing OK.  I know it's not going to be easy in these coming weeks because not only do we have Christmas but their wedding anniversary is Dec. 22nd and Dad's birthday is Dec. 29th. So, we have some rough water ahead.  Mother is a trooper.  She has faith and she's filled with hope in Christ.  She just misses Dad. We all have the feeling that he's happy and very busy.  Every so often, I'll sense he's checking in on me.  Sometimes it's like I can feel his presence and in my mind will come his smiling face and his words of reassurance that every thing is ok.  I appreciate these little tender mercies of love and reminders that the veil is thin and our loved ones are right near by.

Due to the terrible weather this week, school was canceled on Tuesday and Wednesday and so I had the wonderful gift of time! I was able to work on some organization and cleaning that I had neglected for quite awhile since I've been working on my degree.  I can't stand clutter and a dirty house, so I've always done some surface cleaning but I've neglected cupboards and drawers.  Not having a paper to write, books to read, and assignments to complete was so strange and I found myself able to think about and focus on some of the housekeeping that I needed so badly to do. What a gift. On Thursday morning I looked around my house and realized it hadn't been so organized and clean and ready for the holidays in years. It felt great! I'm ready to move ahead with decorating for Christmas. Some years I've really waited until the last minute to decorate -- this year I actually have time!!! Wow!

Since finishing my degree earlier this month I've been to the temple 3 times!! That's a huge treat. Friday morning we started off with a temple session and then I spent a good part of the day shopping.  I actually made a dent in the Christmas shopping.  By Thursday afternoon the snow was melting and the temperatures had warmed enough to make the roads safe. 

Friday evening we had the first ever, "Fawcett Family Pie Extravaganza" (so named by my brother Doug).  It was a nice evening.  We all brought some pie to Mom's and spent time visiting and eating pie and having some extended family time.  Our family is now big enough it's not reasonable for all of us to get together for the day. At Christmas we'll have a cookie extravaganza.  I'm glad we thought of having a pie night so still get to see everyone.

Today I did a little more shopping and then spent some time with Mom. It's been a nice week filled with some good work, a wonderful holiday, and some family time.

This is a rambling post but I wanted to capture some of the week's events. Enjoy.

1 comment: