Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sacrament Meeting and Primary

Today as I took the sacrament I reflected on the symbolism of the bread and water and the symbolism of the act of taking the sacrament. We take these emblems of Christ's body and blood into our bodies. We ingest them. We make them part of our flesh. The symbolism reminded me of the scripture that refers to having the words "...written on the fleshy tables of our hearts..." (2 Cor. 3:3). We are not only to take these emblems into our bodies in symbolism but we are to take the words of Christ, the example of Christ, the Atonement of Christ into our bodies and souls and these are to be written into "the fleshy tables of our hearts", they are to become part of us.

Mormons take of the sacrament much more frequently than other Christians and I am so grateful because it allows us many, many opportunities make the words of Christ, the Atonement of Christ part of our lives. We renew our covenants and each week we can begin anew to be better and to more deeply engrave His words in our souls.

I have to comment on Primary. I realize what I enjoy so much about Primary is that the children are learning the words of Christ. They are learning to follow Jesus. They are learning to be strong and to be filled with hope. Primary is full of light and in the encroaching darkness of the world it makes me happy to see and hear children being taught where the source of all hope and all light comes from - literally and figuratively.

Ok, I've waxed eloquent enough.... for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment