Saturday, January 24, 2009

Hibernation

January is one of those long months with dark, short days and long, dark nights. This Jan. is no exception. At work we're deep into the work and improving student learning. I've been reviewing the perception data and classroom observation data and I'm so encouraged. In fact, I'm ecstatic about the growth we've made over the past 3 years! It's unbelievable! My staff has worked so hard to create a positive culture of accountability, professional learning; to use data to make instructional decisions and they've been so successful.

My grad program is moving along -- this time it's quantitative research - or statistics. (Math is not my strong suit but it's pretty interesting and I actually get some of it after years of looking at IEPs and reading psych reports about IQs and student achievement.) Only 1 more class after this term, preliminary exams, and my dissertation and I'm done!!! Just a little more than a year to go. (I don't know if I can live a normal life without being in school.)

January has been a month of learning for me. I've learned about relationships, boundaries, and how to survive aging parents (who I love dearly and will do anything for) and ornery siblings. I've learned that there's a time to cut off the feelings of obligation to some and to keep my distance from some people. I'm realizing that I can love some people from a distance and not be offended when they totally misunderstand and misjudge me.

I'm slowly coming to accept that my parents may not be here forever and to cherish and be grateful for every day they are here.

I'm grateful for:
  • My sister. Blood is thicker than water and our history of nearly 51 years together is a bond that I cherish and value.
  • My work. I love what I do and I love the people I work with. Their dedication and energy is inspiring. For all of us it's more than job -- it's service to individual children and to our country.
  • My dear, darling children. We don't have grandchildren -- yet -- but we will. They are loyal friends to each other and their spouses are delightful. Their faith inspires me and their friendship and love and support are fabulous.
  • Faith that everything will eventually work out.
  • The capacity to be taught and the capacity to learn.
  • The ability to be happy.
  • The right to vote and to say what I think and to do something about what I think.
  • The opportunity for continued education.(My children will have no inheritance but I can be buried with my diploma that says, Dr. Fawcett.)
  • Dear friends who make me laugh, trust me with their feelings, and share time with me.
  • The fact that January is almost over!

3 comments:

  1. You write such "purty" stuff. I hope I'm not one of the people you purposely keep a distance from! I knew you'd like my fake affirmations. I do kind of believe in them, its just not the stuff you can share with others or they will laugh out loud! I hope that you are well and you'd better "live long and prosper" because you have a lot of student debt to pay off and I still need my friends!!!! Have a good week. Love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo for January being almost over! I'm finally feeling the days getting longer, although it's still cold and snowy! I finished that book about Dewey, the cat last night and I'll mail it to you with your B-day present in a couple weeks. I've decided it's a MUST READ for cat-owners!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, dear friend. I'm with you about January...even my physician says we need extra vitamin D to counteract the darkness of this month.
    On another subject, be thinking of how we can celebrate your birthday. I'm up for anything!

    ReplyDelete