Saturday, November 20, 2010

Gratitude and Peace

This week I've been studying in Jeremiah and the prophecies that the Gospel will be restored in Fullness in the Last Days.  What is so interesting about these scriptures (as well as Isaiah's and other prophetic scripture) is that they pertain to Israel and the Church as a whole and to each of us individually.  Jeremiah wrote that the Lord would make a new covenant (The New and Everlasting Covenant) and that he would put the new law in their inward parts and write it in their hearts.  I've reflected on how He writes the law in my inward parts and in the fleshy tables of my heart.  He provides many opportunities for me to apply the law to myself and to my family -- to enter into the covenant of baptism and in the covenants in the temple.  To teach and train my sons and daughter that they are part of an eternal family and that they have a responsibility and obligation to create eternal families (which they are doing).  Each week we partake of the sacrament and we may attend the temple often -- where we can be reminded of our own covenants and provide extraordinary service to those who have passed on by acting as their proxy. As the Church or Israel is called to repentance, I am called to repentance.  As the Church is directed and guided, I am directed and guided. It's actually quite significant because as we read the scriptures we realize these prophets were writing about us and to each one of us.

As I serve in the temple I am reminded of my covenants. My understanding of the Plan of Happiness and the significance of the Atonement of the Savior for me and my family is deepened and enlarged.  Over and over I am reminded about the amazing and wondrous love of our Father. Time and again as I raised my family and struggled through the challenges of  life I have returned to the temple, to the teachings of the Savior, and to the covenants I've made, for understanding, comfort and peace.

At this time of thanksgiving I am so grateful for the temple and for the role it plays in lifting us, providing us with opportunities for salvation, and light in an ever-darkening world.



1 comment: